@HikerHaynes

Friday, June 15, 2012

It looks as if my publisher has designed a cover for the next edition of Hiking Trails of Nova Scotia. This book, which is scheduled for an October 2012 release, will be the largest yet published, including 60 route listing, 45 sidebar notes, and 30 hiking tips. It iwll even have dozens of pages of colour pictures, all taken when I hiked the trails in 2011. With introduction, preface, acknwledgements, and all the supporting material, Hiking Trails of Mainland Nova Scotia will be more than 75,000 words long.

The 9th edition will be the first time that every picture used will be one of my own photos. While hiking for this and Hiking Trails of Cape Breton last year, I snapped more than 11,000 images. Maybe I should not be surprised if they were able to find 100-200 that are actually half decent.

Hiking Trails of Mainland Nova Scotia is available for order from Indigo and Amazon if you do not want to wait and get a copy in the store. Sorry that it will be a little late for hiking this year, but it will make a great Christmas present for the hiker in your household.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    This comment is unrelated to the current post; I wanted to provide some feedback for the 9th edition of Hiking Trails of NS and could not seem to find your email address, so I apologize.

    I really enjoy the layout of the 8th edition, and find the book very useful in general. However, I thought I'd mention that one trail in particular, the Salmon River hike, is quite inaccessible now. At least to the average hiker. River Road has holes so large that it's unpassable unless you're driving something fairly rugged. So there is essentially an added 3km walk before and after the main hike. Once on the trail going right toward the lookoff, there are fallen trees so large the trail disappears completely. I did not see a sign marking the beginning of the trail either, which might make it hard for some to find. I have heard that a better route toward Salmon River would be to start at Myra Road and do it as part of the Crowbar Lake trail system.
    I hope this helps!
    Tere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. The 8th edition waspublished 12 years ago, and much has changed. Salmon River will not be in the 9th edition, because it is, as you have said, pretty much disappeared. However, I have profiled the full outer loop of the Crowbar Lake Trail, which folows part of the route of the Salmon River Trail, but accessing it from the Porter's Lake Road. It is a tough 18km trek, but I think you will like it.

      Michael

      Delete